Sunday, June 14, 2009

44 Days to worlds, PDX Track Festival results

So, pretty happy with the meet yesterday, all things considered. First I high jumped 5-10 on my first attempt at that height. I had to stop the competition there to run the 400m, and it's just as well, because my neck is killing me today from landing on it in the pit. I have to strengthen my neck and remember to warm it up as much as possible before jumping, because I can't have a sore neck like this for the second day of a decathlon. I think 1.85m is in the cards with just a little more approach practice. The 400 was good enough, 56.06, considering I'm still coming off this hamstring injury and haven't been doing any speed work or intervals to speak of. I was in control, not too tired at the end, and I'm pretty sure I can run in the 54's in July. The good news is my leg survived intact and should be able to continue training tomorrow. Then I threw the shot 36-11 on my first throw, which was ok, but it really killed my shoulder. I'm at a loss on the shoulder, it just won't get better, and I don't think it will until I stop doing this stuff, so I just have to take the motrin and grit the dentures.
All in all, the marks are on pace for an American record in my age group if I can combine them with the other 7 events, so I feel good.
Leaving for Europe today for two weeks, I'll just be running a lot and doing throwing footwork, but hopefully I'll also be able to find some hurdles to go over.

No comments:

Post a Comment