Saturday, January 15, 2011

Oh my aching feet...

I'm hanging in there, but the stress of my workouts is taking a toll on my feet. My muscles and joints are fine, which is very good, but hurdling is getting to be very hard on my feet, particularly my left foot, which has developed arthritis. It might have originally come from a stress fracture I had as a teenager in about the same spot, the middle of the foot on top. So much force goes through your foot at odd angles when while hurdling. Whatever the reason, running in spikes may become impossible in the future. I think I'll be ok through the pentathlon at least, and probably through the rest of this outdoor season as well if I take it easier.
Just about 5 weeks of hard training before I start to taper for the indoor pentathlon March 4, so the goal is in sight. I still feel like I can improve my record by a good margin, although my running has actually slipped a little from November. It's amazing how easily it can drop off if I tip the balance away from just running to doing more lifting and technique work. I've stopped training for now in the non-pentathlon events, but even still my energy is limited. I don't have any fantastic workout times to report, but all around I'm still solid. The lifting and strength work I did starting back in September has paid off I think because I feel stronger, but it also hurts my running for anything over 100m. Training for the multi events is just diabolically difficult with the opposing requirements of strength and lightness. I think I'll stop lifting altogether now until the competition, and maybe that will give me the energy to run more and get back down under 175. The shot put is only one event, and it doesn't pay many more points for an extra foot or two, so I don't think my size and strength will help anymore. I'll be spending 10 days down in Southern California to be able to run in the sun, and I'll just run as much as my feet can handle. After I get back from that trip, I'll have two weeks until an indoor meet in Seattle where I'll hurdle (60m 42") and long jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment